Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wild Olive Stitch Swap and a Helpful Tip

Check out this adorable package I received yesterday. It is my swap gift from the Wild Olive Stitch Swap. The only rules were that hand embroidery had to be used and the hoop had to be 4", you could or could not include any other goodies. That was totally open to the individual. I am so thrilled with my hoop, the embroidered tea towel and embroidery thread. My partner chose to use two of my favorite colors and my love for anything birds. I couldn't be happier over my package. 


Here is my package headed to Portugal. I am hoping she will be as thrilled with her swap gift as I am with mine. I included my hoop, a set of iron on embroidery pattern transfers and a set of homemade magnets. I used her 3 favorite colors and enjoyed making each item.


When I completed my embroidery, I removed it from the work hoop I had used and backed it with a piece of light broadcloth for added stability. I trimmed it evenly around.


I ran a gathering stitch close to the edge, finished it with a tight pull and knotted it.


Before adding the felt backing, I stamped my name info on the felt. This is the first time I have used the stamps on any fabric. I need lots of practice! 
I slip-stitched the felt to the gathered fabric for a finished back.


To dress up the hoop a bit, I hot glued flat ribbon and then layered ric-rac on top. I really like the finished look.


Helpful tip: I had used all the lotion out of the bottle, I thought. No more would come out of the pump but when I took the pump lid off, I could see lotion in the bottom. Usually I would just pitch the bottle in the recycle bin but this time I decided to check and see how much lotion was actually in the bottle. I tipped the bottle over a clean, empty jar and left it overnight. As you can see, the bottle a good deal of lotion left. I will use a spoon to scoop it out and will truly have an empty bottle to toss. By the time it had completely emptied, I had 2/3's of a jar of lotion.



5 comments:

  1. Awww! The hoop you received is very cute and the one your sending off is equally adorable! It looks like it was a fun swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stamped back! I've never tried stamping on felt, but now I think I need to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mollie, I think the stamping letters may become an addiction! I am already listing new projects that they could be included. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I recieved your work and I am very pleased.
    Thanks.
    Paulina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.