Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Self-Rising Butter Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy

Chocolate Gravy is not a recipe that is well-known outside of the deep south. I grew up in MS and this was a special occasion recipe or when someone needs some really great comfort food. I have carried that tradition on with my children. We have Chocolate Gravy on Christmas morning, birthdays, and the odd day here or there throughout the year. If you are a chocolate lover, BEWARE. This gravy is rich, creamy and oh, so good!  

Chocolate Gravy Recipe

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
1/3 cup flour
pinch of salt
3 scant tablespoons cocoa
1 cup sugar

Mix dry ingredients in a large pot. Stir with a whisk to get all the lumps out and it is well-mixed. 

Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir smooth. Turn heat on the high to medium-high. Slowly add remaining milk while whisking. Stir constantly to keep from sticking and to remove any lumps. Heat until gravy is smooth and bubbling slowly. It will be the consistency of gravy. Remove from heat. Serve over warm biscuits or in a bowl with a pat of butter and biscuit on the side. Serves 4.






Self-rising Butter Biscuits

Ingredients:

2 cups self-rising flour - I prefer White Lily brand
1/4 cup butter - Half stick
2/3-3/4 cup of buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450*. 

In a medium mixing bowl, add flour. Cut butter into small pieces and then cut into the flour with a pastry blender or two knives or a fork until well-blended. Make a hole in the center of the flour mix. Pour buttermilk in the hole and stir until blended. Add milk until you have enough to make a dough. 

Pour a small amount of flour on wax paper. Spread across and pour the dough on top of the flour. Work the dough by kneading just a few times. You want your dough soft and pliable. You can roll out the dough or pat it out. I pat. Use a biscuit cutter or small glass or cookie cutter to cut out biscuits. Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Melt a pat of butter and brush on to the raw biscuits. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. 



Bowl of Chocolate Gravy with a pat of Irish butter and a hot biscuits. 
YUMMY!



Linking up:

11 comments:

  1. My Granny use to make us Chocolate Gravy, I have 1 kid that doesn't like it and 2 who do. It always brings back memories of my granny. Pleasant and fun memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Serendipity and Spice.

    I grew up with a Southern mom, but no, I was not familiar with chocolate gravy.

    Learn something new everyday,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never even heard of chocolate gravy until now. This is going in my to-make folder!

    Here's my TMTT:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/04/tempt-my-tummy-tuesdays-cinnamon-chip.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recipe.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had chocolate gravy in years! I pinned this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.....I love biscuits and chocolate gravy.........Thanks so much for linkin' up @CountryMommaCooks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this sounds so good! I have never had biscuits and gravy before but I don't know why? I also have never had chocolate gravy? Geez where have I been living? So glad you gave us the recipe! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was the sugar left out of the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, Yes it was!!! Thank you for catching that. I have updated the recipe! If anyone tried it without the sugar they had a bitter chocolate gravy! :) Thanks again.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.