Thursday, November 1, 2012

Weight Watcher Wednesday - Cheesy Veggie Chowder


Our daughter was here this week for a visit and to spend Halloween with our 6 year old niece. They had a wonderful time Trick or Treating and having a sleep over. Yes, our daughter is 23 and our niece is 6 but they have a wonderful relationship. Jordan is thrilled to have her "big-up" cousin all to herself.

While our daughter is in town, I try to make recipes the entire family will eat and will also meet Hanna's vegetarian needs. I made a Mac and Cheese that was to die for. I had planned to take a photo but it was eaten so quickly by the family that there was none left! I will take that as a compliment. The next night I made this wonderful chowder. I had found a similar recipe that called for chicken broth and I changed it to vegetable broth and lowered the fat with 2% milk and low-fat cheese. It was so yummy. I will say that the night before my son asked where was the meat. I didn't think I could get away with having two entirely meat-free dinners in a row. I made bacon and let Stan and Cody crumble it on top. They loved it and it satisfied their need to be carnivores!

Now on to the recipe:

Cheesy Veggie Chowder

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 finely chopped celery stick
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups cubed style hashbrowns or peel and cube 2 large baking potatoes
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup warm water
2/3 cup 2% milk
2 cups chopped broccoli, I used frozen
2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots and celery. Saute over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Mix flour and water and add to the soup. Simmer until slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli. Cook until broccoli is just tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. 

Serves 6, Weight Watcher points 5

I served with a side of Sweet Potato Muffins and crackers.

Enjoy!

sharing:

10 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks delicious! I am looking forward to a cool night when I can put a pot of this on the stove. Stopping by from Time Travel Thursday and am your newest follower! Hope you have time to visit me at Still Woods Farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. This is delicious. I didn't tell family it was low fat and everyone loved it. ;) Thank you for following. I'm headed over to check you out.

      Have a wonderful weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious! Perfect for a fall day like today! New follower here from the link party! I would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Alyssa! It is so good and perfect a chilly evening.

    I'm headed over to check you out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous recipe! I will be making this soon. How fun that your niece has a 'big cousin' who takes an interest in her. I still favor a big cousin in my own life cause I mattered to her way back when. Enjoy a great weekend. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marsha! Those special relationships are so important and I am so blessed to see my daughter love on her little cousin. :)

      Let me know how you like the chowder. We all loved it.

      Happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious. We love soup, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, Paula. Thanks for dropping by. Hope your weekend is great!

      Delete
  6. What a homey hearty soup. Please share it today on my foodie friday party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother's trick for macaroni is to add a dash of Coleman's Dry Mustard, which really adds something. (It doesn't end up tasting like mustard!) (She also adds a bit of Worcestershire sauce, but that's not vegetarian.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.