Monday, June 22, 2009

Recipe Monday - Calling All Chocoholics!

I grew up in Mississippi and was raised having Chocolate Gravy for a special treat. We usually had it once a month or on a holiday or birthday. I now live in South Carolina and it is not a dish that is known here. I have met people from the Memphis, TN area and the state of Arkansas that also have had Chocolate Gravy but no where further north or east/west. I am assuming most of you do not know what Chocolate Gravy is and therefore, do not know how to eat it. It is a sweet chocolate mix that cooks to the consistency of regular gravy. You serve it with hot biscuits, butter and we love it with bacon. My son and husband eat it over the opened buttered biscuits. My daughter, sister and I eat it with a spoon in a bowl like soup with a side of hot biscuits. No matter how you eat it, it is always delicious. Try it out and then come back and tell me how you like it!

Chocolate Gravy

2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 scant Tablespoons of cocoa

Combine all the dry ingredients and mix until well blended and lumps are minimal. Add milk slowly. Use a wisk for better mixing and to prevent lumping. Heat over medium-high heat and stir constantly to avoid sticking. Heat until gravy is smooth and bubbling slowly. Remove from heat and let it set until it is the consistency of gravy. Serve over warm biscuits with butter. Serves 4-6. May be doubled.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I must make it...soon and very soon.
    Jordan was so very sweet tonight. Hope she had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised in Arkansas and grew up on chocolate gravy and biscuits. The grandkids love it. I add a little vanilla to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously??? Over biscuits??? Oh my gosh -- the stars have collided! That sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.