Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY Memo Board

I found this cork and magnetic board on clearance at Target last week for just over $4.00. I have been wanting a memo/inspiration board for above my sewing machine. For $4.00 I could definitely see potential. 


Next stop was to Hobby Lobby. I walked up on this new fabric. I love birds, cages and this color green. A great find for my little project.

I ironed the fabric then measured and cut the correct amount to cover enough to full across the edge on the back and have enough fabric to tack against the edge. I used regular, old-fashioned tacks. They were so easy to use and worked like a charm.



On the corners I folded as if I was wrapping a gift, made sure to pull snug and even on both sides.

When I finished covering it, I added at the bottom to strips of ric-rac, It still looked a bit plain. I went to my scrap bin and pulled out strips of color-coordinating fabric. I made shabby chic rosettes for the first time. I have been wanting to try them. I love the outcome.



After making three different fabric rosettes, using this tutorial by Craftaholics Anonymous as an example, I hot glued them on to the board in a cluster on the bottom left side. The rosette tutorial can be found here: http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/fabric-rosettes-tutorial



The completed memo board. What do you think? 
I am thrilled with the results!

7 comments:

  1. I have got to learn how to make flowers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I LOVE it. You have a really nice blog and I'm now following you on GFC. I'd love for you to come visit my blog sometime. Have a wonderful week!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love the rosettes that you added! Thanks for sharing at Manic Monday!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. I love it! Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  5. So did you remove the magnet part, or will you just remember that magnets work just in the middle and push-pins just on the outside? I'd drive myself crazy trying to smash pins into the hard center...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I didn't remove the magnet part but instead made some handmade magnets. So far, so good on finding the cork/magnet sections! LOL.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.