Monday, March 2, 2009

Recipe Monday

I have decided to post a favorite recipe each Monday. This week I will start with one of my husband's favorite soups, Vegetable Beef Soup. I was given this recipe by my friend, Rita. With the cold, snowy weather yesterday, this is what Stan requested. It is also low in fat and delicious.

VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP

Boil and drain 1-2 pounds of ground chuck or brown 2 pounds of stew meat in olive oil. Place in large pot.

Add to large stock pot:
1 46 ounce V-8 juice
1 can beef broth (I use low-fat, low-sodium)
2 cans Progesso Hearty Tomato Soup
1 can drained, diced tomatoes
1 tsp. or more minced onion (my family likes onion so we always go with more)
Veggies of your choice - potatoes, butter beans, corn, okra, peas, carrots, etc. Use fresh or frozen veggies and not canned.
I also put a teaspoon of sugar to cut the acid of the tomatoes.

Cook until potatoes are tender and veggies are done. This makes a huge pot of soup. I freeze half immediately and I have a meal to take someone in need or for a busy night where you need a quick dinner. This has a wonderful flavor and it is low in fat and nutritious. I serve with crackers or cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.