Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grandmother

Photo of my mom, Linda, and my grandmother during the Christmas holidays.

My plan was to bake Red Velvet Cookies for my daughter today and get them in the mail for Valentine's day. Instead, I spent last night and part of the day at the hospital, part at home sleeping and now I am back at the hospital. I received a call at 11:00 last night that my 90 year old grandmother was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. She has been admitted and is doing better. Well, as better as one who is frail and delicate can be. 

I grew up loving all the things my grandmother loved, quilting, sewing, crafts, cooking and family. She truly gave me a desire to create at a young age. She taught me to single crochet as an adolescent and to cross-stitch when I was 13. Gifting handmade gifts, such as quilts or stuffed animals, and cooking large meals for her family gave her more enjoyment than anything else. When she was 85, she taught me her techniques for all hand-piecing and quilting. 

During the last four years Maw Maw has lived in a care facility following two debilitating strokes. She no longer recognizes my mom or her sisters or me. It is sad. There are times of seeing the old her slip through as she mimes threading a needle and hand stitching the air. 

My grandmother taught and left me a legacy of love, of creating and love for family. A lesson well-taught and well-learned.  I love you, Maw Maw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read each & every one.